Moon 2023

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

L&L Optical

Started by chris brown, 03/10/2005 05:06AM
Posted 03/10/2005 05:06AM Opening Post
I decided to get my old, worn out mirrors on my XT-8 recoated, searching the internet,I chanced upon L&L optical in Mission Viejo, CA., which is just a few miles from me...
Not only did the they recieve my mirrors after business hours (on saturday!), but I was able to pick up my mirrors on a monday night, also after business hours...just two days later!!!
Richard gave me a full tour of the place, I guess they do Discoverys' mirrors, along with Royce, and they even have a contract for a telescope which operates out of our atmosphere!!
Anyway, they really know thier business, Richard showed me what colored sprectrums to look for on the coatings, and he even showed me how to clean my now super-radiant mirrors (NO water involved!!)
The end result??I got the 96% reflectivity coatings for about a "C" note and one half, and under abysmal skies,(you could count the stars on two hands), I saw M35 like it was a dark sight, many new tiny stars, Jupiter grew many extra bands, and Saturn had a 3-D appearance!!
I highly recommend this useful upgrade to your reflector, I was convinced that I had outgrown my scope, as it turns out, it just needed a tune-up!!
Money well spent...
grin Chris Brown

There's something on the Moon! 8O
Posted 03/10/2005 05:10AM #1
Chris,
Richard is a great guy, but what was his cleaning method that he told you about?

[SIZE="Large"][/SIZE][COLOR="Blue"][/COLOR] Floyd Blue grin
Amateur Imager