Support Astromart! | Log In | Help
Astronomy NewsTelescope ClassifiedsTelescope AuctionsTelescope Articles & ArticlesTelescope Articles & ReviewsTelescope and Astronomy ForumsAstronomy Events Calendar

View Forums
Start A New Thread
Display Preferences

User Name:

Save Login
New to Astromart?
Register an account...

Terms of Service
Privacy Policy
Help & FAQ
Astronomy Links
User Profiles
Top Users List
RSS Feeds

1372 most users online in the last day
725 new forum posts in the last month
More site stats...

Home > Forums > ASTRONOMY EQUIPMENT > Reflectors > Message #836649

Brief Impressions Hubble 24" Ultralight

Posted by Rod Kaufman on 12/3/2017 4:06 PM   (136 hits)
 Prev Post Next Post 

I had an opportunity while up at Mt Pinos several months ago to view through a newly acquired 24 F3.3 Hubble optics ultralight scope. This isn't mine but the owner is a seasoned observer and deploys very nice equipment while observing.
First, the optics were not stock but rather a custom set from Kennedy. Diffraction patterns were identical inside and outside of focus without evidence of under-correction. We were running 2500X on the cat's eye nebula during periods of excellent seeing and transparency with an associated decent level of darkness at a SQM level of 21.53 on two different units.
Second, on the structure, two major bugs were apparent: the DSCs didn't work and the structure "slipped" a bit during certain orientations, similar to a balance issue although that wasn't evidently the issue. Knowing the owner, I'm sure he'll get it corrected with due diligence. Other than that, the scope is a pleasure to view through and if you haven't seen what a large aperture ultrafast newt can do, let me say that it takes the observing experience to a whole new level. It's nothing like viewing through a plethora of standard 25" dobs out there or even 28" models that have a soda straw view with a wide-angle eyepiece. It's in a class all by itself and the field of view with it's associated level of brightness on DSOs is incredible. It's like going from a Huygen's eyepiece to a Nagler. I didn't feel the need to view through a night vision ocular with this scope. It's that good.
PS I've taken a break from the AM for awhile due to work and related issues but it's nice to be back!

Subject Posted By Date/Time Hits 
Brief Impressions Hubble 24" Ultralight Rod Kaufman 12/3/2017 4:06 PM 136
Re: Brief Impressions Hubble 24" Ultralight Thomas Dey 12/5/2017 2:00 PM 121
Re: Brief Impressions Hubble 24" Ultralight Rod Kaufman 12/5/2017 6:46 PM 103
Re: Brief Impressions Hubble 24" Ultralight Thomas Dey 12/6/2017 12:36 PM 85
Re: Brief Impressions Hubble 24" Ultralight Thomas Dey 12/6/2017 12:56 PM 106

All times are in (GMT-8:00) Pacific Standard Time Zone  
Astronomy News | Telecope Classifieds | Telescope Auctions | Telescope Reviews | Telescopes | Telescope and Astronomy Forums | My Account | Help | RSS