Support Astromart! | Log In | Help
Astronomy NewsTelescope ClassifiedsTelescope AuctionsTelescope Articles & ArticlesTelescope Articles & ReviewsTelescope and Astronomy ForumsAstronomy Events Calendar

View Forums
Start A New Thread
Display Preferences

User Name:

Password:

Save Login

New to Astromart?
Register an account...

Terms of Service
Privacy Policy
Help & FAQ
Astronomy Links
User Profiles
Top Users List
Sponsors
Supporters
RSS Feeds

1632 most users online in the last day
244 new forum posts in the last month
More site stats...

Home > Forums > IMAGING > CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System > Message #836576

"Big Phil" and the Firebirds

Posted by Enrico Africa on 11/24/2017 4:19 PM   (42 hits)
 Prev Post Next Post 

Good evening, and happy Black Friday/Day after Thanksgiving for those who celebrate them

I'd been drooling with envy over the images and reports of the big filament over the Sun this past week in other forums, frustrated that I couldn't view it nor image it (work or clouds constantly getting in the way).

Conditions and circumstances finally allowed me to spend some time with the Sun today. I initially viewed it with my DS Lunt60: I was not disappointed. The DS really shines when interesting surface features are visible - the filament was okay in SS mode, but really leaps out in DS mode. And other filaments that were invisible unless I knew where to position the scope in SS mode were THERE in DS mode.

I was in "experiment mode" once again with our Quark filter though (I bought a ND filter to help boost contrast, and this was my first time to try it out), so I thought I'd image the filament with that filter. The filament was indeed visible visually with some slight help through the ND filter (my favorite view was still through the DS Lunt60). However, I figured the Quark would be definitely helpful with the boost in aperture and magnification. I set it up on my Borg 90 and used an ASI174.

So here's "Big Phil". 500 frames out of 1000 with the ASI174.

The filament images are my first successful use of flats in solar surface imaging. I was also hoping to capture some full disk images with the Lunt60DS, but clouds got in the way (and cleared after I tore down!!!!).

Eric

Photo Attached (230KB) - Click to view

Thread:

Subject Posted By Date/Time Hits 
"Big Phil" and the Firebirds Enrico Africa 11/24/2017 4:19 PM 42
Re: "Big Phil" and the Firebirds Enrico Africa 11/24/2017 4:20 PM 31
Re: "Big Phil" and the Firebirds Enrico Africa 11/24/2017 4:20 PM 30
Re: "Big Phil" and the Firebirds Enrico Africa 11/24/2017 4:20 PM 31

All times are in (GMT-8:00) Pacific Standard Time Zone  
Astronomy News | Telecope Classifieds | Telescope Auctions | Telescope Reviews | Telescopes | Telescope and Astronomy Forums | My Account | Help | RSS