Alexander DiNota

NGC6960 Veil Nebula

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Mark Jordan

March 23, 2016 12:21 PM Forum: Off Topic Discussions

Some interesting reading & facts checking!

Posted By Mark Jordan

Lo all,

Was looking for some straight - no bs news the other day & came across this site:

http://www.justfacts.com/index.asp

Caution, you may want to set some time aside if you plan on checking out some of their "Learn the facts" pages. Good reads though, likely send some off on a rant, others scrambling to dispute their research. Interestingly they encourage folks to send them any proven error corrections you may find in their Guarantee Of Integrity on their about us page>

http://www.justfacts.com/aboutus.asp

Lots of reading there... fairly good reading if you are looking into some of the "factual" claims that come up from time to time here in these forums!

Have some fun!

Mark Jordan

February 4, 2017 05:31 PM Forum: Off Topic Discussions

Wow, he gets it! Liberals take heed..!

Posted By Mark Jordan

Naw... never happen! Maybe you might have a chance next time of beating some one like President Trump. Its what a bunch of us have been trying to tell you close minded fools for a while... but then we are the chauvinist, homophobic, Islamophobic, uneducated, haters you think you're soooo much better than.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9DOh2JMshs

I would say listen up, but I've already wasted enough bandwidth, time, & energy in trying to help you out by trying to enlighten you!

February 8, 2017 11:42 PM Forum: Politics

This Just in "Russian Hacker & DNC"

Posted By Mark Jordan

More follow up on the "Russian Hackers" who tried to influence the presidential election & the DNC!!!

http://dailycaller.com/2017/02/04/exclusive-house-intelligence-it-staffers-fired-in-computer-security-probe/

Dirty rotten Russians must of framed these guys huh? Seems plausible I guess since all of those well informed national security people told us the were really sure it was possibly, maybe, could have all been the Russians doings by their best guess information!

February 15, 2018 01:30 AM Forum: Politics

March 20, 2018 09:58 PM Forum: Politics

Good guy with training & guts does his job!

Posted By Mark Jordan

A trained school resource officer steps up like he should and ends the shooting within a minute of the first shot. See it works when the officer has a set goes to work to mitigate the situation as he should instead of hiding behind a car outside!

https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/20/us/maryland-school-shooting-resource-officer-response-trnd/index.html

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/shooting-reported-great-mills-maryland-high-school-n858186

Straight from some folks preferred "news" outlets!

This IS the solution to the problem, stop blaming everything else you have no control over and take the proven course of action... Secure the schools and harden the defenses. You don't see many state or federal buildings without such measures.

May 10, 2008 02:59 AM Forum: Reflectors

The best scope?

Posted By Mark Jordan

Hi Aaron,

Lot of good suggestions and advice for you so far, here's another line of thought for you. I bought an Orion 8" SVP Newtonian OTA used about a year 1/2 ago for right @ $200.00. It was in really good shape for a used OTA, optics typical fair to good for that price class of OTA, pretty standard off the shelf Orion R & P focuser. I used it as purchased for a few days then started the "project" when finished I have plus or minus $1400.00 in it. So what did I do to it you may ask??!

1.) Moonlite CR1 with the servo focus (I do some hobby AP)
2.) Royce 203mm Primary Mirror to replace the original Orion.
3.) Protostar Pyrex 98% secondary (2.14" but a 1.8 or so would be better if purely visual obs - less obstruction)
4.) Slight reconfiguration of the Orion Primary cell (9 point instead of 3)
5.) Repaint (just because I wanted it white instead of dark gray)

Like I said total $$$$ right at $1400.00 in it and I have yet to sell off the Orion 8" primary; 2.28" secondary & other parts, so once I sell those off it will be less than the current 1400.00.

What I got for the money is great, the old Orion optics were good to about 200X (F10) for visual planetary, and not nearly as sharp and contrast-y as the new replacement optics. The difference in the views from what it was to what it is now are astounding, stunning even. Last opening I had I pushed it up on Saturn and I was able to easily push it to a hair over 400X with a Power Mate 4X (F20 the Royce mirror is 1005mm fl instead of the 1000mm fl of the Orion). The detail on Saturn was still sharp and clear, cloud/gas bands, could see 3 moons very sharp and pin point as well as still get a sharp view of the rings.

So after I sell off the original Orion optics I'll have achieved a very high grade OTA with 8" optics for considerably less than $1500.00. Some assembly required, but if you could find one of those "Chinese" Newtonian OTAs somewhere cheap used you could "build" yourself a really nice OTA.

CS & GL
Mark Jordan
Greenfield IN

August 6, 2008 03:09 AM Forum: Off Topic Discussions

freaky looking robot!

Posted By Mark Jordan

Even Freakier!! The beta!!! 8^0 ;^)

http://gizmodo.com/372272/video-of-bigdog-beta-quadruped-robot-is-so-stupid-its-hilarious

September 5, 2008 06:33 PM Forum: Refractors

Drying out after heavy dew

Posted By Mark Jordan

You See!!! Now you know why they tell you NEVER to point your telescope at the Sun!!!!! shocked ... 8)

February 28, 2009 02:03 PM Forum: Bad to the Bone Autos

Parking Problem.

Posted By Mark Jordan

Park far away from the congested areas of public parking lots and walk a longer distance to get to the front doors of said establishment.

Whatever you do DO NOT park across 2 or 3 parking spaces to protect your 'baby', I've personally witnessed cars get deliberately vandalized for this. Cell phone cameras are great witnesses to this sort of crime, as well as some places have lot surveillance security cameras. End result to your baby though is still the same, just sometimes get a slight satisfaction from knowing the vandal may be caught and prosecuted. I would imagine the paint job alone on that 'stang' would be in the neighborhood of $3000.00+ and that moves the criminal offense into felony territory in a lot of states.

Me I drive an F250 with the extra duty snow plow & trailer pkg, the rocker panels are about 2' from the ground stock, and I have a set of side bars/steps I fabricated from 11ga. rectangular steel tube. The outer edge of these sets about a 1/2" further out than the outermost skin of the body panels, does a heck of a number on any door that is carelessly flung open into it. Scratches the step too, but a little 220 grit & a $5.00 can of Rust-oelum pretty much takes care of that. 8)

Good luck keeping your "baby" safe, it's purrdy!

Mark Jordan

July 8, 2010 02:04 AM Forum: Politics

1099 requirements

Posted By Mark Jordan

To everyone who had a hand in getting this batch of idiots elected to office........ Gee thanks for your deep deep thought on your vote! Yea that's it hammer the business community to it's knees in paper work & BS, yea that's it! That's how you get this country back on track & out of the mess it's economy is currently in....... Hamstring em!

We the people, but they ARE the government!