My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Edwin Kessler

December 16, 2005 03:04 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

JMI Hard Case for LX55/75

Posted By Edwin Kessler

Does anyone know if this will fit or be made to fit a Vixen GP-DX mount?

Thanks,
Ed Kessler

January 7, 2006 09:37 PM Forum: Refractors

Re: New Meade S5K ED

Posted By Edwin Kessler

This has been an interesting thread. I always appreciate the info on telescope design that I pick up here.

Here are my two bottom lines:

For me finances are the main issue. I would buy the best 6" apo available, if I had the cash. I can't afford one, so my humble second-hand FS-102 and my CR150/Chromacor combo (good but not excellent) will need to do.

Second, I will NEVER - did you hear that? - NEVER - buy another Meade product! After needing to spend nearly $600.00 to ship a brand new 12" LX200 back to the factory for "repair," and having fiddled with an LXD55 mount until I almost pulled my hair out, I have given up on buying anything from them. If I tallied the wasted cash, I'd be much closer to that high end apo!

IMO the best approach to this hobby is to save your pennies and buy the best, even if you can't get it right away. If you like frustration, go ahead and buy the S5K ED. You MAY get something worthwhile. I'm going to stick with AP, TMB, TEC, Tele Vue, TAK, etc. or I'm buying nothing at all.

Ed Kessler

January 20, 2006 02:44 AM Forum: Ham and Shortwave Radio

Help with Omni VI computer interface cable

Posted By Edwin Kessler

Any folks using a computer with an Omni VI? I'd like to try to use N1MM's program in some contests and was wondering what I'd need to do with the cables for rig control and CW sending via the computer.

Any help would be appreciated.

Ed Kessler
AA3SJ

April 22, 2006 09:58 PM Forum: Mounts

Vixen DD-1 Controller Question

Posted By Edwin Kessler

Hello,

I have a GPDX mount with installed dual axis motors / controller. My question relates to the controller function on the R.A. axis. At 32x both controller buttons activate the gears. I.E., it will move the R.A. axis one direction OR another. However at 2x and 1.5x the controller only moves the gears in one direction. The "reverse" button does not affect the gear drive in a positive way. Here's my question: Is my controller malfunctioning or is it the case in the slower correction speeds that one of the R.A. buttons is simply a pause, stopping the drive to adjust the object placement?

Any responses would be greatly appreciated.
Ed Kessler

May 10, 2006 02:56 AM Forum: Celestron

C8 OTA Question

Posted By Edwin Kessler

Hello,

I have a question for you Celestron fans/users: Were some C8 OTA's manufactured without the holes to mount it on a fork mount? I have a C8 that has a dovetail mounted on it, but it doesn't appear to have the proper holes to mount in a cradle for a fork mount.

Thanks,
Ed Kessler

February 7, 2007 02:48 PM Forum: Takahashi

FS-60C and Feathertouch Micro

Posted By Edwin Kessler

Hello,

A simple question: Will any of Starlight's Feathertouch Micros fit the FS-60C?

Thanks,
Ed Kessler

February 12, 2008 06:30 PM Forum: Refractors

Wait Times?

Posted By Edwin Kessler

This question has been sort of nagging me for a while so I thought I'd ask it here.

How is it that some scope manufacturers apparently have scopes in stock while with others there is a considerable waiting period for delivery? I'm not referring to inexpensive Chinese scopes; I understand how they can be in stock. On the other hand, scopes with excellent optics from TMB, TAK and TV (for example) seem to be readily obtainable. Is this a man power issue? Do they hire more opticians? Do they have better suppliers? Fill in the gaps for me, please.

My question is not intended to bash any company or criticize anyone. I'm just curious.

Clear Skies,
Ed Kessler

April 2, 2008 01:20 AM Forum: Eyepieces

Re: TeleVue Ethos eyepiece can damage vision!

Posted By Edwin Kessler

I like to live dangerously! 8)

July 27, 2009 11:45 PM Forum: Takahashi

EM-11 Pier Adapter

Posted By Edwin Kessler

Does anyone make a pier adapter for an EM-11.

I'd like to attach mine to a different tripod.

Thanks,
Ed Kessler

April 8, 2010 04:36 PM Forum: Coronado-Lunt-DayStar Solar Filters

Barlow/Powermate in front of a blocking filter?

Posted By Edwin Kessler

Is it safe to use a barlow or Powermate in front of a blocking filter for Ha viewing or photography?

I'd like to increase the focal length of my system for higher resolution photography but using the barlow in the diagonal and then adding a camera makes things a bit awkward.

Thanks,
Ed Kessler