My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: James Brown

February 28, 2007 05:45 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky

M1

Posted By James Brown

I recently added some OIII data of the Crab to HaLRGB data taken this time last year. I have reprocessed everything so that now the HaLRGB image is (L+Ha+OIII)(R+Ha)(G+OIII)(B+OIII).

M1 is rather small for my 980 mm setup, but it sure does have a lot of cool structure. I hope you like it.

Jim

TEC APO 140
G-11 with Gemini
SHV-H9
FLI filter wheel
AstroDon filters
Maxim DL and Photoshop CS

February 28, 2007 05:46 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky

M1

Posted By James Brown

Here is last year's version, without any OIII.

Jim

March 1, 2007 03:59 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky

M1

Posted By James Brown

Thanks, Jim

April 17, 2007 02:31 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky

M 81

Posted By James Brown

Hi all:

Here is a M 81 combining data from last year plus supplemental color data taken this weekend. I have about 2 hours L and an hour each RGB into this now. All done with 5 minute subs. 2x2 binning on the color.

Any comments are always much appreciated!

Jim

TEC APO 140
Losmandy G-11
Starlight Xpress SXV H-9
AstroDon Filters
FLI filter wheel
Maxim DL
Photoshop CS

April 18, 2007 02:00 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky

M 81

Posted By James Brown

Thanks, grin

Jim

April 24, 2007 02:51 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky

M104

Posted By James Brown

Hi all:

I just spent some quality time admiring Stefan's M51... I guess I'll post my image anyway. wink

This is the Sombrero, M104 taken with my 0.14m refractor. grin

140 min L, 50 min B and G, 75 min R.

TEC APO 140
Losmandy G-11, Gemini
Starlight Xpress SXV-H9
FLI Filter Wheel
AstroDon Filters
Maxim DL
Photoshop CS2

Any comments are always appreciated,

Jim

April 25, 2007 02:38 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky

Imaging & the Moon

Posted By James Brown

Sonya Ward said:

Hey guys,

How does moon light effect our images? Can you image at all with it out? I know we can filter some light pollution.
Sonya

Hi Sonya:

Deep sky images taken when the moon is bright will have a background light gradient toward the moon. Strong gradients are really hard to deal with. Also, the brightness of the general sky background on a bright moon night can get to the point where the faint target of your image is pretty much washed out. I think most people avoid full spectrum imaging when the moon is bright, I know I do.

Narrow band imaging (e.g. Hydrogen Alpha) works well when the moon is out. The extremely narrow pass-band of this type of filter blocks moon glare and light pollution both really well. A regular light pollution filter might help some on a bright moon-lit night, but I doubt it would help much. The reflected moonlight is full spectrum and will cause a gradient even if the selected frequencies the light pollution filter is designed for are blocked.

Good luck. Jim

August 21, 2007 02:46 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky

Best bang fo the buck?

Posted By James Brown

Hi Floyd:

You are asking for opinions of course. The following is only my opinion!

I went through this mental exercise two years ago. I determined that for me, the best bang for the buck was a Starlight Xpress SXV-H9 (monochrome). It is extremely low noise, and has small pixels that match well with my refractor. The cost was/is about $2800.00. That is plenty of ouch of course, but a lot less that the large format cameras from SBIG, Finger Lakes etc. that I lust over.

What really sold me were Adrian Oradean's images taken with this camera. They are in the Anacortes Gallery here:

http://www.buytelescopes.com/gallery/customer_home.asp?c=27279

I think Adrian's images are about as good as it gets with moderately priced equipment. Talent really does matter in this hobby. His skills allow super bang for the buck.

I am happy with the SXV-H9. Some of my better images are linked to my profile. (I'm working on a couple of good ones right now.) Still working up the learning curve!

Some day I will own a large format camera though. I'm just waiting for those prices to come down even more! wink

Jim

October 8, 2007 03:50 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky

IC 5067

Posted By James Brown

Hi all:

Here is the ionization front of the Pelican Nebula, IC 5067.

Shot with the following:

TEC APO 140
Starlight Express SXV-H9
FLI filter wheel and focuser
Losmandy G-11
Maxim DL
Astrodon LRGB and Ha filters.

Thanks for any comments, Jim

November 12, 2007 03:05 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky

New Images from this weekend.

Posted By James Brown

Very dramatic Floyd. Did you flip the image left to right? In my refractor images of the same region, the horse looks to the left.

Jim