Sunspot Array's AR 3712, 3713, 3716

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

10" Dobsonian Wanted for Student Astronomy Club Use

Started by robertlbagh, 03/28/2010 03:51AM
Posted 03/28/2010 03:51AM | Edited 03/28/2010 03:51AM Opening Post
I know it is a long shot, but I am in need of a telescope that will be used by the Hiram College Astronomy Club. I am the founder and president of the club, as a sophomore student at Hiram College in Hiram, OH. As an amateur astronomer for the past 13 years of my life, I feel great joy when I can show my fellow students the sky, especially through a telescope. Last year, a telescope was donated to our club, but due to the condition that it was in when we received it, it needed too many repairs for us to use, and we did not have the money to have it repaired or replaced. This year, my club applied to the student senate's finance committee for the money to buy a 10" Dobsonian from Orion Telescopes, but unfortunately our request was one of the only ones denied out of all of the many clubs that applied for capital funding for the year. As a relatively new club, it is difficult for us to be able to raise any money for our cause, especially as a result of our denial from student senate.

If anyone has a 10" Dobsonian in decent condition that would be willing to donate it to be used by our club I would be so grateful, and I know my club members would be as well. This will allow us to jump-start the club and really get the ball rolling on activities, as we would have a telescope to use and train members with. Please, I am not looking for anything that requires anything other than minor maintenance, as we do not have the funds or resources to do so. I am willing to pay for shipping out of my own pocket, or meet for pickup near Cleveland, OH.

Thank you so much for your consideration in reading this post.

Bobby Weitzner
Student President, Hiram College Astronomy Club