Jupiter (clearer) Nov 5th 2023 w/Mewlon 180c

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Hypering Film - Push Processing

Started by 2dogs7, 05/16/2015 05:19AM
Posted 05/16/2015 05:19AM Opening Post
I apologize if this has been covered previously. I could not find a post on such. I have been away from this for about 10 years due to a severe illness. Looking to do some more of this as all my equipment is film based.

1st. Way back in the day I used to hyper film. I still have a tank. Is it even possible to get and/or have anhydrous ammonia without some kind of license, and' will you get hassled by the police if you do? Also can todays film handle the process?
2nd. Does anyone do or recommend a source for push processing?
3rd. Has this (film purchase and processing) become so expensive that it would be better to go digital?
Thanks
Posted 05/20/2015 07:40PM | Edited 05/20/2015 07:44PM #1
Apparently you do/did not self-develop film, so I suggest that the only difference in equipment for film or digital astro photography is the *camera* used. Self-processing digital astro images with your computer permits far greater versatility than the former pushing of film speed in the development process or slide-copying or hypering. Besides which, film and developing chemicals (or commercial processors) are not as readily available as they were prior to digital photography. Consider that the cost of a digital imager is one-time vs film and developing is continuous with use. Unless your are nostalgic about this, amateur astrophotography has become quite impressive since the advent of the digital age, leaving the film era results in the dust. I used to take and self-process astro images on film with self-made film holders of lunar, solar-system, and deep-sky objects including Halley's Comet.
Posted 04/10/2018 02:35AM | Edited 04/10/2018 06:06AM #2
Gas Hypering with Hydrogen, usually, forming gas which is about 5-7% H2 with other gasses like Nitrogen or Argon. Forming gas is used in all sorts of metal processing and is commonly available. 

I have never heard of using Anhydrous Ammonia but I would think that would interact negatively with the emulsion and would pose serious health risks to handling the film not to mention possible chemical reactions with developers. I think you must be mistaken about using Anhydrous Ammonia. 

Forming Gas does have some hazards - you must use Hydrogen rated fittings and hoses. Forming Gas is extremely flammable!

Lumicon used to sell Gas Hypering Kits that included a small cylinder of what was essentially, forming gas. I have one of those tanks and it still has some gas in it. 

With new regulations, it has become almost impossible to purchase Forming Gas at any price unless you have the necessary licenses and certifications. Those old tanks, while perfectly serviceable, can no longer be refilled due to all sorts of new regulations. Lumicon used to ship those tanks full of forming gas and that is no longer permitted either.

I suspect that it might cost upwards of $300-500 to acquire a cylinder of forming gas these days! (cylinder fees, forming gas, certification fees, licensing fees)