Northern Lights Over GA

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Why Suspend This Police Captain?

Started by Rod Kaufman, 06/18/2011 10:52PM
Posted 06/18/2011 10:52PM Opening Post
A Tulsa police captain was suspended for two weeks because he refused to order his police officers to have mandatory attendance at a "law enforcement appreciation day" at a local mosque.
Frankly, I don't think policeman, fireman or other public service employees ought to be required to attend privately held events, no matter who sponsors them.
http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=11&articleid=20110615_11_A1_ATulsa987785
Posted 06/18/2011 11:49PM | Edited 06/18/2011 11:51PM #1
He certainly should be disciplined. In the military he would have been written up with an Article 15 action at least. He's on duty and his superiors gave him an order. Period. So what, lets say others under his command felt similarly against the Jews, ok to disobey an order to attend that? Our police and fire and emergency response teams all must interface with the public, and many times that interface is simply to represent the departments. This event is not different from any other event where organizers ask our response departments to attend to be honored. So his men and women under his command are "required" to serve all the U.S. population, not just the ones they "prefer" to. I'd at least demote him one step in rank and put him on a 6 month probation, and send him to training. I'd send his entire department to remedial training as well.