Mars opposition July 27

Started by TMASH42, 04/27/2018 10:52AM
Posted 04/27/2018 10:52AM Opening Post

As Mars will be close to a full moon on July 27, what would be the best filter to use for a 11" aperture SCT?
Posted 05/03/2018 06:00AM #1
To see detail more easily, I found a 23A was good on an 8-inch scope. Generally, I prefer the view without a filter.

The big problem for me, and probably more so for you, will be the low altitude of Mars. Here it is just under 25 degrees at its highest. The seeing is rarely good that low in the sky.

Clear skies, Alan
Posted 05/16/2018 08:53AM #2
Celestron is marketing a new filter for mars as seen here:
https://www.celestron.com/products/1-25-mars-observing-eyepiece-filter
It looks like a magenta filter that reportedly works well on Mars. The celestron filter isn't available yet, but I pre-ordered one from Adorama:
https://www.adorama.com/cnmarsf.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwiurXBRAnEiwAk2GFZlkIAAn6HhNBgYfWP4hht35kQH2JTJF88OlcPlU_upFsQ0hVXAoc4RoCodkQAvD_BwE
If I don't like it, I've got thirty days to send it back for a refund so there's not much to lose in trying it. I'll post on it when I do receive it and do some Mars observation with my 16" dob.
Posted 08/08/2018 01:51PM | Edited 08/08/2018 01:54PM #3
Well after not observing for months (could even be close to a year) I saw a news bite about Mars and i didn't quite catch the story, but as I am always aware, I noticed Mars was very bright in the night sky. I figured the story must be about it being very close to earth, so I checked my planetarium software and I was right. 
 I decided to put my scope back to work (took a day or so to get things in order) and I was not disappointed there it was bigger than ever in the ep vs the tiny dot. 
 Funny thing was it was way back in 2003, August as a matter a fact I have a photo on the wall of Mars, when it was that big. 
 My revelation was wow, it was 15 year ago that I first saw Mars that big and it may be another 15 again so I'd better have a look now as it will a long wait to do this again!

Regards,
Greg
08/07/2018
11:53 Pm Pacific