Jupiter (clearer) Nov 5th 2023 w/Mewlon 180c

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Denk II vs. Binotron-27

Started by kmcgrew, 11/02/2015 02:49PM
Posted 11/02/2015 02:49PM Opening Post
How does the Binotron-27 compare to the Denkmeier II Binoviewer? Can the filter holder for the Binotron-27 also be used with the Denk II?

Thanks!
Posted 11/06/2015 04:27PM #1
Optically, no differences I can see.

B27:

Pros:

1. Lighter in weight than Denk II's, less torque on visual back, diagonal and tube assembly
2. Slightly better SCD than DII's. When focusing each, they stay centered
3. Nice construction/build quality. I love the rubber coating.
4. Self-collimation feature. Easy to do and allows those who have had trouble merging images a MUCH better shot at using bino-viewers.

Cons:

1. Longer light path (~5/8") relative to Denk II's due to the self-collimation feature
2. Self-collimation feature. Collimation may not stay put, requiring adjustment from time to time (but super easy to do).
3. Not quite backward compatible with older power/filter switches and nose pieces. Older accessories may not screw into B27's all the way and B27 accessories may be a loose fit into the DII's.
4. Requires more intrusion into a newt's light path at low power relative to DII's (using same power OCS, 1.2X or 1.4X).

I've got both.

I use the DII's with the newts and those refractors I've not cut back (TEC 200 & 140ED and TMB 152 F8) to reach focus sans OCS. I can reach focus with these refractors with the DII's but not the B27's as long as I use the Denk dovetail diagonal. I also use the DII's with my MCT's as they have the shorter light path. Also, also, I use the DII's with my newts for Con # 4 above.

I use the B27's with all of the refractors that I've cut back as I've typically left ~1.0" -1.5" of in-travel with the DenkII's which is more than enough to handle the extra 5/8" of light path the B27's have relative to the DII's.

Hope this helps.

Jeff

"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things" 8O