I'm not quite getting out of the hobby, but I am simplifying in a big way.
I'm selling my Never-Going-To-Sell-This Scope, my GoTo UC18.
I haven't used this scope in forever, so it's up for sale.
Obsession's Ultra Compact 18 is the biggest scope you can CARRY in two trips. It was my perfect big scope when I had an upstairs observing deck. I could carry the Virtual Mirror Box (VMB) with the mirror and all the other lower half goodies from upstairs intact to the car for my (at the time) regular trips out east to The Dark.
My Telescope Room (adjacent to the deck) has now been repurposed to lesser pursuits (housing my son). No place for a telescope except the garage. The Ultra Compacts are many things, but they do not lend themselves to sitting set up in the garage (nor should they be).
- ServoCAT GoTo System
- Terry Ostahowski-figured 17.5" f4.5 mirror (new coatings have seen the sky less than five times). This mirror weighs 30-lb, 10-lb less than the original Galaxy (the VMB, loaded, doesn't weigh all that much, but it is awkward. If, like me, you had to carry it up and down stairs (intact), the 10-lbs was a pretty significant savings.
- ATA Travel Case
- Feathertouch 2-speed crayford focuser.
- Upper and Lower Baffles
- Original Mirror Cover
- Counterweight kit
Adds and Mods
(note: NONE of the mods alter the original equipment. They're still "stock".)
- Nexus Wifi (by AstroDevices, for connecting ServoCAT with iPad/android SkySafari)
- Base for Stellarvue Finder Rail (direct from Dave)
- Second Truss Set, 3" Shorter for Binoviewers, DSLR
- Mirror Cover: Plywood, round: protects the mirror much better than the "stock" plastic water heater pan. Top Plywood slides into place (no tools), round plywood cover rests on that.
- Custom Dolly: allows you to roll the UC - completely set up - for instant viewing. You cannot do this with the stock configuration (the handles attach to the VMB not the groundboard (which means they must removed to observe. And the handles interfere with the Alt Encoder Stalk, so that has to come off. And the Shroud and the Stabilizer arms interlock. It's complicated). This dolly bypasses all that.
- ServoCAT is set up to run wirelessly with SkySafari Pro. A SkyCommander XP4 is included (but requires changing the settings).
Local sale only. The mods are non-invasive add-ons (but I still haven't posted the dozens I photos I want to nor my video instructions, and I have a bit more documenting to do). You'll want to see it in person. Everything's excellent, but UC's with ServoCAT have a learning curve. I am its second caretaker.