Support Astromart! | Log In | Help
Astronomy NewsTelescope ClassifiedsTelescope AuctionsTelescope Articles & ArticlesTelescope Articles & ReviewsTelescope and Astronomy ForumsAstronomy Events Calendar

From the
ATWB Customer Gallery

Tree Line at Night

View the Anacortes Telescope & Wild Bird Customer Gallery

View Forums
Start A New Thread
Display Preferences

User Name:

Password:

Save Login

New to Astromart?
Register an account...

Terms of Service
Privacy Policy
Help & FAQ
Astronomy Links
User Profiles
Top Users List
Sponsors
Supporters
RSS Feeds

812 most users online in the last day
687 new forum posts in the last month
More site stats...

Home > Forums > ASTRONOMY EQUIPMENT > Equipment Talk > Message #684726

Re: Celestron CGEM Mount vs. Orion Atlas Mount

Posted by Rod Mollise on 10/23/2009 6:11 AM in response to Celestron CGEM Mount vs. Orion Atlas Mount   (2603 hits)
 Prev Post Next Post 

Hokay...

For starters, these are basically the same mount, made by the same folks (Synta). The CGEM is pretty much an update to the EQ-6/Atlas.

--The EQ-6 can be run with EQMOD.

--The CGEM has a better hand control with better software. It also has a Losmandy D dovetail (though Orion sells replacement saddle plates for the Atlas now).

Be aware that Celestron's been having HC problems lately.

Me? I bought my Atlas about a year before the CGEM begain going to users. At first I was upset, since I really love the NS HC. But then I discovered EQMOD, and am mostly happy with the Atlas. Its only real shortcoming is that the altitude and azimuth controls are stiff and hard to use.

Uncle Rod

Time on your hands?
Waste it with Uncle Rod's Astro Blog!

http://uncle-rods.blogspot.com/

Thread:

Subject Posted By Date/Time Hits 
Celestron CGEM Mount vs. Orion Atlas Mount Charles Menbeck 10/23/2009 5:54 AM 351
Re: Celestron CGEM Mount vs. Orion Atlas Mount Rod Mollise 10/23/2009 6:11 AM 2603
Re: Celestron CGEM Mount vs. Orion Atlas Mount Charles Menbeck 10/23/2009 4:22 PM 373

All times are in (GMT-8:00) Pacific Standard Time Zone  
Astronomy News | Telecope Classifieds | Telescope Auctions | Telescope Reviews | Telescopes | Telescope and Astronomy Forums | My Account | Help | RSS