I have a 127mm Maksutov OTA, manufactured by Meade and substantially upgraded by Wegat Optical. It is in excellent condition.
This is a very special Mak: a small number of these custom ETX-125 OTA's (white) were originally designed and built by Meade for a laser telecommunications project that was ultimately cancelled. These OTA's were designed to have the same optical performance as standard ETX-125's (blue), but substantially improved opto-mechanical properties compared to the standard off the shelf ETX-125.
These upgrades are:
- First of all, no plastic; all parts (most notably the rear cell) are finely-machined metal
- A custom-machined, heavy aluminum screw-on dustcap
- The focus action of these units is substantially smoother and 4 times finer than the consumer grade ETX-125
- The image shift and mirror flop are nearly undetectable, and may well be zero
- It has 2” SCT threads and thus accepts all standard SCT accessories
- It has increased length of primary baffle for rejection of off-axis stray light
- It has a larger diameter focus knob
- It was star tested/collimated by Wegat before shipment
- Meade screw-on plastic dewshield
- nice, heavy-duty mounting rings
- Vixen-style dovetail
- 1/4" aluminum bar on top that makes a fine handle for easy mounting. The bar could quickly be modified to mount a finder as well
127mm clear aperture, 138mm primary mirror
1900mm focal length
f/15 focal ratio
OTA dimensions: 330mm x 150mm
These were designed to be diffraction limited. The front corrector is uncoated but the mirror is enhanced. This makes the throughput 3.8% less than the standard ETX-125 non-UHTC.
Optics are pristine; OTA has some tiny blemishes in the white paint (see close-up photo - these are really very minor scuffs) from mounting rings. Because the OTA is a non-standard size, I have used foam to shim the rings which works great. I have found the optical performance of this Mak to be excellent, with pin-point stars and phenomenal planetary and lunar views. The focusing is buttery-smooth with a definite "snap" into focus - far and away the best focusing on any Mak I have owned or used.
All for $320 shipped to your CONUS address. Sorry, but not interested in trades at this time. I need the funds for a recent M703 acquisition. No PayPal fee if you choose to pay that way.
Thanks for looking!