CG-5 with encoders and brackets for DSC's. This is the newer type CG-5 with ball bearings on both axis, and the sturdy steel tripod.
Mount has had various upgrades:
- Completely degreased, polished, regreased w/lithium and adjusted - super smooth movement w/little backlash.
- Rubber worm gear o-rings have been replaced w/ custom machined ones - very minimal PE.
- Plastic tracking knobs have been upgraded to nice machined aluminum ones.
- Aluminum case fitted for mount head, counterweight bar, and encoders.
- Padded case holds tripod, EP tray, and controller.
- Nice machined encoder brackets, which allow use of polar scope, unlike JMI encoders.
- Holder for DSC computer.
Mount includes polar scope, motors, controller, tripod, cases, tray, battery-pack, 2 counterweights, CW bar, and 4000 tic encoders/brackets. Mount shows minor signs of use, but is in good condition. It has a few minor scuffs on the legs, some inevitable marring on the CW shaft from mounting the weights, and the inevitable scrapes on the hub from polar aligning (not visible once set up). I have worked very extensively on this mount, and as a result it tracks very smoothly with little PE. I have used it for both planetary observation and astrophotography. For visual use, it has tracked perfectly at 600x magnification on both Saturn and Jupiter all night long. For astrophotography, I have gotten 2-minute unguided exposures (see attached image of M51) using drift alignment. The encoders work very well and have been accurate with both my SkyCommander and NGC-max computers.
This is a very nice, precise mount. It will run rings around an LXD-55 or similar in terms of both tracking capability and stability. It makes a nice setup for high power visual observing, or astrophotography for a medium sized scope. Just attach your DSC computer, and you have a system better than a go-to. Best of all, it breaks down into two nice cases + the counterweights. Very easy to keep track of everything.
SOLD TO LINDA!